linux 7.3 on poweredge 4600

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at hera.itg.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 20 21:26:00 CDT 2002

sounds all good.

the tape backup system is over the network, and yes, it is slow. but
otherwise its a great system. totaly works, SOOO easy to maintain. almost
0 admining. id hate to move to something else that would chunk up more of
my time. but eventually we'll have to, cause sooner or later 1.5TB is
going to be pocket change...

but going with RAID 5 will solve a lot of our current problems. right now,
our fileserver has NO RAID, and i must restore from tape backup when a
drive fails. this is terribly slow, and ill enjoy the speed of RAID 5
restores over tape restores.

one more question: what kind of drives does dell put in it's servers? im
assuming they are 80-pin 1" SCSI's? or do they use 68-pin?

thanks,

alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
   alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu