Need docs, info, pointers to source, whatever.

Brian K. Jones jonesy at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Aug 19 06:42:01 CDT 2002

I've spent my entire weekend, starting on Friday afternoon, trying to
find some sort of reasonable answer to what I thought would be a pretty
straightforward question:

"What is the purpose/significance of the files in /proc/sys/net/core/?"

I've searched google, man pages for 'proc' and a million other things,
and I see TONS of benchmarking that's been done which alters these files
for performance reasons, but there has been NO explanation about WHY
these files are being altered AT ALL!  The closest I've come so far is
someone who said (as if this would help or be a complete answer of any
kind) 'it increases the buffer sizes'.  Of what?  Which
processes/services use these files to get their buffer sizes?  Why are
there so many files to control buffer sizes?  Buffer for what - there
are buffers for everything, which ones are these?

In the end, I'm trying to get better NFS/Autofs *CLIENT* performance out
of 3 Dell 2650's with Broadcom 5701 NICs.  I've upgraded the kernel on
one of them to 2.4.19, and the others are running RH's 2.4.18-5, which
is the updated kernel via up2date.

At this point, I know that the Broadcom's are not the greatest cards to
be running under Linux, so I'll be switching one of them today to an
Intel GE card, but I feel like I should be doing better than the numbers
I'm getting from my tests.  Running bonnie locally is about 10 times
faster than running it using a mounted directory!  :-/

Any (relatively current - 2.4 + ) pointers to NFS *CLIENT* performance
tuning under Linux would be appreciated.  Please don't point me to the
HOWTO - I can recite it by now.

Thanks.
--

Brian K. Jones