Linux & Dell/EMC SAN

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Wed Aug 14 23:40:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Benito Venegas wrote:

> Good night Jason:
>
> I don;t have any new model DELL/EMC SAN.

most people i talk to say that.. when talking linux.

i remember hearing rumours about dell san 4.0 or 5.0 being linux qualified
but then that sort of disappeared.

> If this info help you, only I have two systems each one with 630F and 650F
> plus qla2200  (mm...which one has an extra F?? sorry it's late :)

the qla2200F is if you are using fibre connectors..

> Both systems are attached to  PE 2450, with RH 7.2 and kernel
> 2.4.9-31SGI_XFS  :) (yes!! or not Seth?:)

brave.. i've not been able to justify going past ext3fs myself.. but
then i've been pretty happy with the brute force read performance from
a 650F.. i only need it to delivery between 30-50Mbyte/sec read which
seems well within it's performance specifications.

> We share in total  1 TB using nfs-utils-0.3-X (I am sleepy in this
> momment) and no problem at this momment.

yep, we are using NFS to share data that is mounted on a dell box with
direct attach fcal too.  however it'd be nice if we had the ability to
give servers read only access to data independantly.. which is what
one of the things a SAN might be used for.

this would mean we could have a failure of the "fileserver" but continue
to have data access (in read only mode) by the front end machines.. which
isn't the case with a NFS solution.

regards,

-jason