PowerEdge 2650 & Redhat 7.3

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 14 07:36:01 CDT 2002

At 07:52 14-8-2002 -0400, Brian K. Jones wrote:
>Actually, I think as far as hardware goes, 7.3 wins here.  However, I'm
>having some as yet unanswered issues with 7.3 on the 2650 - mainly
>revolving around the snmp daemon throwing wrong values for the Broadcom
>5701 10/100/1000 cards, and some NFS issues that were fixed with a
>kernel upgrade (via RHN).  I'm still debugging and testing, so I'll let
>you know if other stuff comes up.

I noticed the SNMP problem but I don't know if the broadcom developers know
about them. Both the tg3 and the bcm5700 driver incorrectly report the
amount of octets. Something in the order of 1:100.
Instead of reporting 20Mbit it would report something like 300Kbit in mrtg.

After replacing the cards with Intel e1000 cards all our traffic stats went
back to normal and we were able to judge if a machine had been busy or not.

>Just so you know, in spite of net-snmp's inability to talk to the
>Broadcom NICs, several iperf tests are proving them to be quite decent!

The cards were a tad faster then the e1000 on the same hardware here
(400Mbps for the intel vs. 500Mbps for the broadcom). However, a crashing
bcm5700 driver and a card that stops working from one second to the other
is no good in a server.

Cheers

--
Seth