noisy PE 2650 servers

David Borg-Breen breen at pmel.noaa.gov
Mon Aug 12 12:27:00 CDT 2002

Hi -

I read the July posts on this topic - particularly the message from Even Glemmestad:

> Download the ERA Firmware upgrade off of support.dell.com
> http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=r45501
>
> If you don't allready know this, the PE2650 has an on-board remote access
> controller (Embedded R. A.) that you can use for power management (powerup,
> powerdown, etc.), remote monitoring (temp sensors and such), and console
> redirection, among other things. If you set the IP address of the ERA (can
> be done from the ERAs bios), you can access the ERA via pointing a
> webbrowser to the IP. The ERA has a separate TP port located at the far
> right on the back of the PE2650.
>

> Rgds,
> Even Glemmestad [CCNP,MCSE-NT,MCSE-2K,CNA,LCP]
> L2 / Senior Server Technician, Nordic Region
> Technical Support, Dell Computer Corporation

I downloaded the zip-format firmware upgrade file.

I copied it to /tftpboot on the PE2650 and un-zipped it.

I enabled in.tftpd and verified that I could tftp-get the files
from another system.

I opened a browser window to the ERA, clicked Update, entered
the IP address of the PE2650 and clicked Begin Update - and got
the following error:

   Firmware Update

      TFTP transmission error (Bad IP address, incorrect path,
      or file size too small or too large).

Did I miss something?  Has anyone gotten this to work?

-David Borg-Breen