no more non-ms systems?

Colm MacCarthaigh colm.maccarthaigh at heanet.ie
Sat Aug 10 17:07:01 CDT 2002

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 04:40:34PM -0500, Jeremy_Sheard at dell.com wrote:
> You have always had and will still continue to have the option to purchase
> Dell PowerEdge Servers with a "NO OS" option.

That's great :)

> We recommend that you purchse
> the Operating System from us either Factory Installed or as a Customer Kit.

That's understandable but just as a reference: we use Debian and FreeBSD
on our Dell PowerEdge Servers because we are most comfortable with those
platforms and feel they are far more suited to our needs, and whenever
we've had Hardware issues Dell have been excellent in their level of
support.

The support and site engineers simply recognised our ability to diagnose
the problems and had no issues in replacing faulty hardware (a rarity in
any event) and had no problem dealing with either operating system.

In the past we have dealt with vendors who would only rigidly deal with
a failure if it could be exhibited on a supported software platform and
diagnosed using propreitary tools and whatnot. This certainly isnt the
case with Dell, who just get busy helping us fix the problem :)

--
Colm MacCárthaigh