Linux and RAID

Fri Aug 9 10:47:00 CDT 2002

You don't mention what OS release you've got.  I'm going to assume it's at
least Red Hat Linux 7.0 or above.

> > I have a poweredge 6300 with one PERC 2 and I´m trying
> > add one PERC 3 DC for one Powervault
>
> This is my /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias eth0 e100
> alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
> alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
> #alias usb-controller usb-uhci
>
> How i must change its?

Here's what I don't understand - you say you've got a PERC 2 and a PERC
3/DC, but you've got no RAID drivers in your modules.conf file!  How's the
thing even boot before you add the PERC3?

> The PERC 2 has the BIOS enable for the machine start with its, OK?
> The new card PERC 3/DC has the BIOS disable, because this
> card must connect
> with the POWERVAULT only, not with the internal disk
> the machine, where is the system, OK?

You don't mention which PERC2 you've got (there are a bunch, and two
different drivers).

If it's a PERC2 (4 channel card), you need the aacraid driver.
If it's a PERC 2/{SC,DC} single or dual-channel card, you need the megaraid
driver.  I assume this.
The PERC 3/DC uses the megaraid driver.
You need the aic7xxx driver loaded because you've got a CD-ROM attached to
the onboard SCSI channel.

So, you should have in /etc/modules.conf:
alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid
alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx
alias eth0 e100
#alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Now, if instead you've got the 4-channel PERC2 card, and that's your boot
drive, you need:
alias scsi_hostadapter aacraid
alias scsi_hostadapter1 megaraid
alias scsi_hostadapter2 aic7xxx
(then the rest)

Then remake your initial ramdisk, run lilo if needed, and reboot.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch