kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter

Soukup, Kevin (IL50) kevin.soukup at honeywell.com
Thu Aug 8 00:59:01 CDT 2002

Greetings All,

I know, I know. The subject should be familiar to a lot of you. I found the
reference mentioned quite a few times in the not-to-distant past. The
symptoms I'm experiencing are very similar, but they're not "harmless" and I
would really appreciate some guidance.

Matt, (I don't know you personally so forgive my presumptuousness at using
your first name) here's an excerpt out of the PE archive:

>> i deactived on board SCSI on PE1400SC  and installed RedHat 7.3.
>> In output from "dmesg" apsears:
>>
>> "kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter,
>> errno = 2"
>>
>> do everybody know about this?
>
>Yes.  modprobe isn't in the initrd.  The initrd script loads the drivers it
>needs.  It's a harmless error message that you can ignore - it affects
>nothing.
>
>Thanks,
>Matt

You mentioned again later that the message should just be ignored, but I
can't boot up to ignore it!

I just wiped out the RAID container on two Dell 4600's which came from Dell
preinstalled with Redhat 7.3. All reference to the next procedure suggests
it should work flawlessly, but the two boxes sitting in my server room are
evidence to the contrary. The servers are configured as follows:

Dell 4600
Dual 1.8 GHz
4 GB RAM
Perc3/Di
5-73GB disks, 4 in RAID 5, 1 as hot failover
Quantum SDLT-1

I installed the Redhat software that shipped with the servers (nothing
special and I've done it plenty of other times, so I don't think I hosed
anything).

During the SMP boot process, I get the "kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe
-s -k scsi_hostadapter" followed by "loading aic7xxx" and the server hangs
right there. Cold boot is the only way out.

When I boot the single-processor kernel, I get the same error but the boot
process continues and all appears to be fine.

Any help anyone can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Soukup
CAD/CAM Engineer - Oracle DBA - MatrixOne SysAdmin

Honeywell Automation & Control Solutions Automation and Control Products
Division
11 W. Spring Street
Freeport, IL 61032

Phone:	(815) 235-6944