Intel Pro 1000/XT problems

Michael_E_Brown@Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Wed Aug 7 17:25:00 CDT 2002

The Pro 1000/XT is newer than Red Hat 7.1, so there is no native support for
this card in this version of linux. You can do any one of several things to
correct this:
    1) the best option: Upgrade to the latest errata kernel for 7.1 from Red
Hat.
    2) Download the driver for the e1000 for RH 7.1 from Dell's support
website
--
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Honbo Zhou [mailto:honbozhou at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 4:29 PM
To: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: Intel Pro 1000/XT problems

I am running into a problem with Intel Pro 1000/XT on a PowerEdge 250 Dell
server
running RedHat 7.1. I have two Intel NICs, the other one is a built-in Intel
Pro 100,
which works fine. I am using the e1000.o that comes with RedHat 7.1.

The problem is that my server doesn't seem to be able to detect the Pro
1000/XT NIC.
when I do a "insmod e1000, I got the following errors:

/lib/modules/2.4.2.2smp/kernel/drivers/net/e1000.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO
or IRQ parameters.

The Pro 100 NIC has IRQ 11, the Pro 1000/XT has IRQ 5, I am not sure about
the IO parameters.

Your help is appreciated.

Honbo