Linux and RAID

Wed Aug 7 14:14:00 CDT 2002

The bios has a scan sequence which is set low to high or high to low of the
pci devices.  You can swap the scan sequence around and it should work.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt_Domsch at dell.com [mailto:Matt_Domsch at dell.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 2:09 PM
To: joaquin.gomez at psa.es; linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: RE: Linux and RAID

> I have a poweredge 6300 with one PERC 2 and I´m trying
> add one PERC 3 Di for one Powervault

I assume you mean PERC 3/DC.  It's an add-in card, the 3/Di isn't.

> but when
> i insert the card into the server linux don´t start!!!

1) BIOS must be set to boot from the PERC2, not the PERC 3/DC.  This is a
config option in the Setup screen available immediately after power-on.
2) Linux must think that the PERC2 is your boot device.  This means that
/etc/modules.conf needs to list the aacraid driver first, the megaraid
driver second.  If that's backward, it won't work.  Fix that, remake your
initrd, and reboot.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Dell Linux Solutions www.dell.com/linux
#1 US Linux Server provider for 2001 and Q1/2002! (IDC May 2002)