My experiences with six new Dell 2650's and RedHat Linux 7.2

Russo, Ben Ben.Russo at tnsi.com
Wed Aug 7 09:45:01 CDT 2002

Thanks for the expert answers!  This was my first posting to this
list and I'm amazed at the quality of the answers and the caliber of the

You are correct, I was looking for it under .../kernel/drivers/net/bcm
where it was in the Dell SBE CD's 2.4.7-10 kernel RPM.  It moved to
.../kernel/drivers/addon/bcm5700 in the RedHat 7.2 updates 2.4.9-34 kernel
RPM.

     >> Is there a way to take the standard RedHat kernel source and apply
     >> the patches just for aacraid and bcm5700?  If so where would I get
those
     >> patches?  Or even better yet, does Dell have the newer stable
kernels in
     >> binary RPM form somewhere?
     >
     >the PCI option hack shouldn't ever have been done and is not needed in
newer
     >kernels
     >
     >> I ended up disabling the broadcom adapters in the BIOS and putting
     >> in a PCI 3Com card that works with no problems. But it is a shame to

     >> waste those two on board NIC's and have to use a PCI slot for no
     >> good reason.
     >
     >You can cheat and install the 7.3 kernel and use the tg3 driver for
     >them.....

That is great, this was just the kind of answer I was looking for.
Do any of the list readers have anecdotal evidence of "rock-solid"
stability when using the bcm 5701 NIC's with the tg3 driver?

-Ben.
This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction Network
Services.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the