scsi timeouts and kernel panic: Perc3/Di and Adaptec 29160

Arne trashbin at smallworld.no
Wed Aug 7 06:37:00 CDT 2002

This gave me such a hard time that I figured I'd just add it to the
mailing list in case someone searches the archives after running into
the same problem:

I kept seeing "random" crashes with

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 778229, scsi 3, channel 0,
id 0, lun 0, write (10) 00 00 03 7a 85 00 00 10 00
SCSI host 3 abort (pid 778229 timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 3 channel 0
Kernel panic : scsi_free : Bad offset
In interrupt handler - not syncing

on our PowerEdge 4400 with Perc3/Di regardless of Bios/Firmware/RedHat
version. In the end I removed the Adaptec 29160 card I used for a tape
drive and the problem seems to have disappeared, even though it looks
like a RAID controller problem from the kernel output. If there is a
conflict caused by the operating system I have not been able to find
indications of it, backing up data from the RAID devices to the
tapedrive also worked.

Thanks to the @dell.com people reading this list that have sent me
suggestions over the past months : )
tech.support in Norway didn't even bother to reply when I asked for
(linux or not) diagnostic suggestions to rule out hardware problems... : (

-Arne