Raid controller not working after updating Linux kernel

Tue Aug 6 14:33:01 CDT 2002

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-June/003097.html
<http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-June/003097.html>

This is also fixed in modutils-2.4.18 and above.  Red Hat is including this
in their next OS release.

Thanks,
Matt
--
Matt Domsch
Dell Linux Solutions www.dell.com/linux
#1 US Linux Server provider for 2001 and Q1/2002! (IDC May 2002)

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Feagans [mailto:scottfeagans at marketsystems.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 2:25 PM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Cc: 'Jim Chambers'
Subject: Raid controller not working after updating Linux kernel

Dear Dell Power Edge Linux Support Team:

After speaking at length with your Linux Support Team today, with no
resolution, they suggested that I write an email explaining the problem that
I am having.

I upgraded the Red Hat Linux kernel through the up2date process from
2.4.2-10smp to 2.4.9-34smp and the server will hang with a in a Kernel
Panic.  I have done the upgrade on two separate servers (PE 1650 and 2550)
with the same results.  It looks like the PERC card is not being found due
to the following errors at boot up:

*
*
/lib/aacraid.0:  invalid parameter parm_aacraid_pciid
ERROR:  /bin/insmod exited abnormally
*
*
*
*
Kernel Panic:  No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel

For some reason, during the upgrade process it looses the pciid for the PERC
card.  The pciid should be the following but I am not sure where in the
kernel this is referred to or needs to be placed since it will not boot:

aacraid_pciid=0x1028,0x0a,0x1028,0x011b (for the 1650's)
aacraid_pciid=0x1028,0x0a,0x1028,0x0121 (for the 2650's)

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Feagans, Network Engineer
Market Systems Inc.
2464 North Orchard Street
Chicago, IL  60614