Raid controller not working after updating Linux kernel

Scott Feagans scottfeagans at marketsystems.com
Tue Aug 6 14:26:01 CDT 2002

Dear Dell Power Edge Linux Support Team:

After speaking at length with your Linux Support Team today, with no
resolution, they suggested that I write an email explaining the problem
that I am having.

I upgraded the Red Hat Linux kernel through the up2date process from
2.4.2-10smp to 2.4.9-34smp and the server will hang with a in a Kernel
Panic.  I have done the upgrade on two separate servers (PE 1650 and
2550) with the same results.  It looks like the PERC card is not being
found due to the following errors at boot up:

*
*
/lib/aacraid.0:  invalid parameter parm_aacraid_pciid
ERROR:  /bin/insmod exited abnormally
*
*
*
*
Kernel Panic:  No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel

For some reason, during the upgrade process it looses the pciid for the
PERC card.  The pciid should be the following but I am not sure where in
the kernel this is referred to or needs to be placed since it will not
boot:

aacraid_pciid=0x1028,0x0a,0x1028,0x011b (for the 1650's)
aacraid_pciid=0x1028,0x0a,0x1028,0x0121 (for the 2650's)

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Feagans, Network Engineer
Market Systems Inc.
2464 North Orchard Street
Chicago, IL  60614