Poor PE4600 NFS performance

Rick Gaudette Richard.Gaudette at Colorado.EDU
Mon Aug 5 16:58:00 CDT 2002

Hi Aly,

Right now the fstab (actually autofs mounted right now while we are
testing) entry is

simba       -soft,intr,timeo=1,retrans=10      simba:/home

I have tried specifying the rsize and wsize but they seem to make
matters worse.  I am surprised to see your time out parameter so long.
We found that increasing the timeo past 7 (the default I think) degraded
performance.

I should have been more specific on the "other machines" info.  We allow
our users to cross mount (via autofs) a scratch partition available on
each of the machines, they use these for very large temporary files.
The NFS read performance between any of these machines (the PE4600) is
between 26-35 MB/sec.  The performance for any of the other machines
reading from the PE4600 the 14 MB/sec rate.  Hope that is clearer.

Thanks
Rick