Poor PE4600 NFS performance

John jcouncilman at knology.net
Mon Aug 5 14:47:00 CDT 2002

Hardware RAID?

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com] On Behalf Of Rick Gaudette
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 3:21 PM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: Poor PE4600 NFS performance

Hi,

We have recently received a PE4600 (PERC-3, RAID-5, RH-7.2) that is not
performing nearly as good as we had hoped.  The primary function of this
machine is an NFS server for a small gigabit network of athlon and P4
workstations.  From the PE4600 we are seeing NFS read rates of ~14
MB/sec.  Between all of the other machines we are seeing NFS read rates
of 26 to 35 MB/sec.

Are other folks out there able to get better performance out of this
server?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick Gaudette