New to RAID/Linux - PE2650, Redhat 7.3

James Bourne jbourne at mtroyal.ab.ca
Mon Aug 5 11:46:00 CDT 2002

On 5 Aug 2002, Brian K. Jones wrote:

> OK, I think I can figure this stuff out.  I'll likely build it into the
> kernel as well, since there's no practical reason I can think of to make
> aacraid a module (or the aic7xxx driver).

Keep in mind when you do this that the 2650 has P4 which should do
hyperthreading (smp_acpi?).  Anyway, I know 2.4.18 did not balance
IRQs properly across the CPUs (we have a 4600 which is
in production) and will require some of Ingo Molnars patches for IRQ
routing/balancing on the P4/Serverworks systems.

I do have these patches available at
	http://www.hardrock.org/kernel/
against 2.4.18.  I don't yet know the status of these patches against
2.4.19, as I have not tested them yet. I know we're recieving at least
1 2650 tomorrow and can test and report back to the list if anyone wants
to know sometime later in the week or next week..

Regards
James Bourne

> My question *now* is: How do I control the RAID level?  How do I know
> how the driver is treating the disks?  How do I know if it's being
> mirrored? etc. etc.
>
> Thanks again
>
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 09:22, Seth Mos wrote:
> > At 09:09 5-8-2002 -0400, Brian K. Jones wrote:
> > >Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the miscommunication - RAID 1
> > >(mirroring) is what I want to do.  The question now is once I have my
> > >root disk set up the way I want it, what's the device I'm aliasing in
> > >modules.conf?  I don't remember ever putting a module into that file
> > >just by itself on a line, but that appears to be what you're
> > >suggesting.
> >
> > This from one of my PE2450 servers (perc2/dc controller)
> >
> > [seth at lsintra seth]$ cat /etc/modules.conf
> > alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
> > alias scsi_hostadapter1 megaraid
> > alias eth0 eepro100
> > alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> >
> > So in your case it should look like this.
> > alias scsi_hostadapter aacraid
> >
> > Then rebuild your initrd image.
> > mkinitrd (see help)
> >
> > I always compile the scsi adapters that I need to access the root
> > filesystem into the kernel so I don't need to make initial ramdisk images.
> >
> > It also makes sure I can reach the root fs when something goes wrong.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > --
> > Seth
> > It might just be your lucky day, if you only knew.

James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA
www.mtroyal.ab.ca

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."