New to RAID/Linux - PE2650, Redhat 7.3

Brian K. Jones jonesy at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Aug 5 07:14:00 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm not new to linux (at all), only to hardware RAID in the Linux
environment.  tldp.org doesn't seem to have anything specific to my
ignorance level in this area, nor does google, so here I am.

I have a PE2650 with the PERC3/Di RAID controller and an Adaptec 7899
SCSI card.  I'm running Redhat 7.3 (stock SMP kernel for now).  I don't
really know how lost I am, quite honestly, but what's happening is that
it *appears* that the aacraid driver is loaded upon bootup, but when I
run 'lsmod', aacraid is not listed.  Compounding this issue is the fact
that I have no idea what arguments to give the module to load it.  It's
also not listed in /etc/modules.conf.

I installed the kernel docs and source, but the README that came with
the driver are really of absolutely no use in getting me started.

My impression (which I admit may be wrong, at best) is that setting up
raid upon install with Redhat uses *software* RAID, but I should think
the hardware RAID would be much more reliable, not to mention faster.

I'd like to use the hardware to run RAID 0 - I only have two disks, so I
just wanna mirror the root disk.

Can someone point me to a fine manual dealing with this or offer any
tips?

Thanks,
--

Brian K. Jones