ERA firmware update

David Schroeder David.Schroeder at flinders.edu.au
Sun Aug 4 22:10:01 CDT 2002

Patrik,

I can confirm that the firmware update to the 2650 RAC does indeed reduce
the noise of the fans to an acceptable level.

We have succesfully performed the procedure on 2 newly delivered 2650's.

I did have a little trouble with the update, as I first tried to connect to
the RAC via a crossover cable from the second ethernet port of the box under
Linux.

Unfortunately, all the browsers I tried from a 7.3 Redhat installation could
connect but not display the RAC interface because of a java problem I
assume. It just came up with a blank page and a title and source that did
confirm the connection was ok.

Connecting a Win98 laptop to the RAC and browsing with IE was painless, and
after installing a required tftp server on the laptop the bios update was
very straight forward. I'm sure this does not require any OS or software
being present on the 2650.

I must admit it would have been easier if there was a floopy disk update
path, or if the known problem was fixed prior to shipping. But...it has
forced us to look into the RAC features earlier that anticipated and we have
seen the benifits that can be had by using them.

--
David Schroeder
Systems and Network Support