PE 2650 and SLES7 - Dual Broadcomm Gigabit NICs not working

Mark Rittman mrittman at plusconsultancy.co.uk
Fri Aug 2 11:28:01 CDT 2002

I've now got things working fine.

I had to get hold of a file called bcm5700-sles7.gz (which was kindly provided to me by Hubert Mantel of SuSE) which I then had to gunzip and then DD to a blank floppy disk. I can provide this file should anyone want it. I did try downloading it from Matt Domsch's site, but the .gz file didn't seem to be valid.

Once the floppy disk had been written, I then reinstalled SLES7 using the CD ROM, and once the CD rom had  been used to boot the system, I placed the floppy in the floppy drive. The driver on the floppy was then read as part of the install process, and after the install was complete, I was able to configure the network card as normal.

So now I have got SuSE Enterprise Server 7 running on a Poweredge 2650 with the dual Broadcom Gigabit NICs.

Once again many thanks to Hubert Mantel

Mark Rittman