[ANNOUNCE] LightFX for Linux - control XPS LEDs using dellLEDCtl - User contributed code

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Thu Mar 15 11:29:37 CST 2007

    For those of you blessed to have Dell XPS laptops with the integrated LEDs, Ed H <eah1 at yahoo.com> has contributed the "dellLEDCtl" program to libsmbios to control the LEDs from within Linux.

    This program will be available in the 0.13.5 release of libsmbios, which will be released in a few weeks. For those of you wishing to try this out before then, I have released a beta version with this added code. You can grab the beta tarball from: http://linux.dell.com/libsmbios/download/libsmbios/libsmbios-0.13.4.1_BETA/.

    You can also install prebuilt RPMS from the unofficial yum repository. These RPMs are in the testing/ repo in the libsmbios-unsupported-bin RPM (example install below). I expect to move this binary from the unsupported-bin RPM into the regular libsmbios-bin RPM when I have had more feedback from people indicating that it works for them. (Probably for 0.13.6 or so, unless I get a large amount of feedback prior to 0.13.5).

    Please give this new binary a try and report back your results to the mailing list.

    A big thanks to Ed for doing all of the coding for this and contributing the resulting source back. I dont have a machine to test this on (boo-hoo), so if anybody wants enhancements, please submit a tested patch in 'diff -u' format to the libsmbios-devel mailing list.
--
Michael

Example install from the testing repo:
# yum -y --enablerepo=dell-testing install libsmbios-unsupported-bin libsmbios-bin