[Poweredgec-tools] C6220: ACPI soft-off on the 4 nodes at the same time

Nicolas Capit capitn at free.fr
Wed Nov 26 02:03:05 CST 2014

Hello,

On several different C6220 chassis, sometimes, the 4 nodes shut downed
suddenly and we are not able to know why. Here are the logs that we have:

  - In SEL we have on the 4 nodes of the chassis (at the same time):

	  7a | 11/24/2014 | 15:21:39 | System ACPI Power State Sys Pwr Monitor | S5/G2: soft-off | Asserted

  - The power supply LED are then orange

  - we have other C6220 chassis on the same PDU without problem. So there was
    no electrical problem.

  - It is impossible to turn the nodes on again by IPMI or with the web
    interface; The command says ok but they remain off.

  - We have tried to reset the BMC ("mc reset cold") but the nodes remain off.

  - We have tried "bmc -H nodeXX pecagent_health" on the 4 nodes but
    everything is Ok.

  - the only solution that can get back the nodes is to unplug the 2 power
    supply and plug them and then we can power on the nodes.

BIOS: 2.4.2
BMC: 2.53
FCB: 1.21

Did somebody have seen the same behavior?
Is there a solution to avoid this?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas