[Poweredgec-tools] shared mode BMC on c6220

Andrew Cooper Andrew.Cooper at nisc.coop
Mon Nov 24 11:26:24 CST 2014

Hello,

We recently tested going from dedicated mode to shared mode for bmc nic_mode on our C6220 nodes.  We assumed that the shared mode meant an active-backup “bond” between the two embedded ethernet ports (gb1, gb2, 1GB on-motherboard).  We also set the bmc to use a vlan id.

With both nics up, things function as expected, we can access the bmc web interface/console without issue.   When dropping the first nic, we are no longer able to access the web interface/console.   We are using dhcp for the bmc address and can see that it is trying to request an address, but based on switch mac tables and dhcp server logs, the request never makes it out of the second nic.  The operating system is configured with an active-backup bond and works as expected on the second nic.

Is shared mode supposed to act like a bond, or is it only functional on the first embedded nic?  Does the inclusion of a vlan change this?

Thanks,

-Andrew