[Poweredgec-tools] C6145 bricked after flashing BIOS 3.3.2

biuro5 at profsoft.pl biuro5 at profsoft.pl
Fri May 9 03:28:03 CDT 2014

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Trying to force flash AMIBOOT.ROM was the very first thing we've done
after it became clear, that server is bricked. Unfortunately, pushing
the "ON" button results only in fans spinning at maximum speed. No USB
dongles, pendrives or even keboards are responding. We've chcecked
voltage output on USB sockets and it's correct, but motherboard still
won't recognize any connected device.

The more we look for answers on internet forums, the more similar
cases we see. Our cocnlusion is that BIOS 3.3.2 update is seriously
flawed. We do have a lot of experience with Dell servers but it didn't
protect us from frying two motherboards by attemting to perform simple
update procedure. This update package is deadly!

Unfortunately our server's warranty expired some time ago, and we do
not know who we should contact on this issue. The only response from
Dell consultants was that "machine is probably broken, and has no
warranty" like we didn't know that from very beginning. This update
should be removed from official page or at least proper warning should
be added.

We have some more questions:
Is there any way to extract BIOS chip from MoBo, reflash it with
working BIOS 2.6.0 and solder it back?
Could you provide any information on how this can  be made, or is it
even possible?

Regards
Jacek