[Poweredgec-tools] C6145 bricked after flashing BIOS 3.3.2

Michael_Stumpf at Dell.com Michael_Stumpf at Dell.com
Wed May 7 16:22:35 CDT 2014

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
Hi ,

This is probably a case where you should contact Dell support, if for no other reason than if there's a reproducible problem, they can confirm and file a defect.

Michael Stumpf
System Management & Tools
Dell | PowerEdge C

-----Original Message-----
From: poweredgec-tools-bounces On Behalf Of Serwery Dell
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 12:34 AM
To: poweredgec-tools
Subject: [Poweredgec-tools] C6145 bricked after flashing BIOS 3.3.2

Hello,
I upgraded BIOS in my C6145 to v3.3.2, and after reboot it stopped responding (NO POST, NO VIDEO).

I thought it was happen because I didn't upgrade the BMC before the BIOS, but on second board I firstly upgraded the BMC to the latest version 1.17 afterwards the BIOS to version 2.6.0 and everything was OK.
Unfortunately I need 3.3.2 BIOS, so I flashed it on 2.6.0 and after that the second board was bricked like the first one.

When boards are in standby I have access to BMC/DRAC by WWW and by IPMITOOL.

I have tried to flash older version of BIOS by ipmiflash, but it stops at:
------------
"ipmiflash -f -H 10.10.10.186 -U root -P root bios http://10.10.10.1/a.rom

Dell PE-C IPMI flash update tool | built: 2013-02-11 15:44:47

BMC (remote) : 10.10.10.186
update fw target : BIOS
update type : forced (platform checking skipped)
preserve config : no

Got reservation: 0x25
Pushing part 1/2 of URL into BMC...
Pushing part 2/2 of URL into BMC...
Triggered flash process to start.

The BMC will freeze during the update. If you are watching via iKVM, you may need to close the window and reconnect via the BMC web GUI once updating has finished.

Flashing Task ID: 48

When boards are power on, access by BMC/DRAC is limited. PING is temporary, e.g. 6sec ping and next 20sec unable to ping.

Is there any chance to unbrick this server?

Regards

MM