[Poweredgec-tools] BMC GUID

Sven Ulland sveniu at opera.com
Tue Mar 18 04:02:35 CDT 2014

On 03/17/2014 08:18 PM, Les Begnaud wrote:
> That's a great idea, Sven, but the issue is I don't know how to
> modify the mc guid.
>
> In sure we could determine an internal way to uniquely identify our
> BMC... but I have yet to find any way to modify the BMC guid. I can
> modify the service tag, which changes the guid of the motherboard,
> but those are apparently different unique identifiers...

There's no help in the IPMI spec, unfortunately: The IPMI v2 rev 1.1
spec, section 22.14 states: "Since the GUID is typically 'permanently'
assigned to a system, an interface that would allow the GUID to be
configured or changed is not specified."

The non-uniqueness of the mc GUID is of course a major blunder by
Dell, or specifically the IPMI firmware vendor supplying the C series
BMC; the GUID is even used in the IPMI crypto routines. Perhaps there
exists undocumented raw IPMI commands that can be used: Looking at the
variety of raw commands going into the 'bmc' tool, I wouldn't be
surprised if there's an interface for it.

sven