[Poweredgec-tools] BMC Hostname. Populating those two zeros

Erlend Bergsås erlend.bergsaas at met.no
Thu Mar 13 04:15:41 CDT 2014

Hi!

I see that the default bmc hostname has the following form:
  "bmc-SERVICETAG-DIGIT-DIGIT-DIGIT"

On all our nodes this is rendered something like:

  "bmc-ZZ1ZZ2A-0-0-1"
  "bmc-AZ1ZZ2A-0-0-2"
  "bmc-BZ1ZZ2A-0-0-3"
  "bmc-CZ1ZZ2A-0-0-4"

The last of the three DIGITs seem to conform to the BMC's "node number in chassis". Is it possible to set the two first DIGITs to something useful?

I understand that I am able to set bmc hostname by performing a command similar to:

  $ bmc hostname set FOOBAR

thus making it possible for me to do:

  $ bmc hostname set bmc-`bmc service_tag`-RACKNAME-RACKUNIT-`bmc node_number`

Is there any other way of "populating" those two first DIGITS?

Thanks. (And: thanks for a previous answer to a question of mine on the list.)

-Erlend