[Poweredgec-tools] how to ID a drive in a C6100

Marcin_Miklaszewski at Dell.com Marcin_Miklaszewski at Dell.com
Wed Jan 15 05:17:54 CST 2014

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
Geoff,
What kind of HDD controller do you have? For SAS RAID controllers there is an option to blink LEDs. For controllers supported by LSI MegaCli utility the command is:
MegaCli -PdLocate -start -physdrv[E0:S0] -a0
MegaCli -PdLocate -stop -physdrv[E0:S0] -a0
E0:S0 is the drive address on SAS bus (most likely 252:0 will be drive 0, 252:1 - drive 1) to confirm you use MegaCli - PdList -a0. The first number is "Enclosure Device ID", the second one is "Slot Number".
For SAS2 LSI controllers you could use following command.
sas2ircu 0 LOCATE
I'm unable to try it locally to provide the exact command line unfortunately.
For SATA drives I'm not aware of any utility that could do the job.
Regards,
Marcin Miklaszewski
Dell | Global Configuration Services

-----Original Message-----
From: poweredgec-tools-bounces On Behalf Of Geoff Galitz
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:37 AM
To: poweredgec-tools
Subject: [Poweredgec-tools] how to ID a drive in a C6100

Hi.

There are cases where I'd like to be able to tell a remote datacenter to replace a disk drive before the drive fails....  how can I ID such a drive by blinking the drive LEDs?  If I tell them to map a module on the back to a certain drive on the front they invariably make a mistake.

This for C6100 and C6220s in our case.

Thanks.
-G

Geoff Galitz, ggalitz at shutterstock.com