Dual-head on Precision 490 running RHEL4

Fuller, John jfuller at wsi.com
Wed Jul 25 08:40:39 CDT 2007

I've had only three problems with dual-head confguration over the past four and a half years.   My operations center of 25 Dell Precision class systems (variable numbers) alone use two, three, and with the 690 four-head configuration just fine.   The group is so much dependent on the multi-head displays, I get paged if there was an issue with the dual-head not working.

When I get into work later this morning, I'll forward some of my xorg.conf and XFree86.conf files since I still use RHEL3 for a few systems, but primarily use RHEL4.   I always edit the files manually and don't want to rely on the computer doing the work for me.   I also highly recommended using the dell-nvidia dkms modules provided by John's group under http://linux.dell.com/files/nvidia.

There is one for RHEL3&4 (8765) and one for RHEL5 (97##), both of these drivers have been extensively used and have been proven to work.   This way you don't have to manually rebuilt the module upon a new kernel release each and every time.

John

John E. Fuller
WSI Data Center Operations
400 Minuteman Road