Dual-head on Precision 490 running RHEL4

John_Hull at Dell.com John_Hull at Dell.com
Wed Jul 25 05:45:22 CDT 2007

I've never had much luck using Red Hat's tool for dual display, so I
don't recommend using it. Nvidia has a tool included with the driver
called "nviida-xconfig" that you can use to set up the dual head modes
more easily than editing the xorg.conf file yourself (try `man
nvidia-xconfig`). In addition, newer Nvidia drivers also includes a GUI
tool that is even easier to use for configuring dual head

________________________________

From: linux-precision-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-precision-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of
Lars_Olsson at dell.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:24 AM
To: linux-precision-Lists
Subject: Dual-head on Precision 490 running RHEL4

Hi!

I'm trying to run Dual-head on a Precision 490 running RHEL4 but have
ran into some problems. It seams to be impossible to enable dual-head
via the display settings options. The "Second Video Card" options are
grey.

I followed the instructions in the nvidia manual, Appendix P.
Configuring Multiple X Screens on One Card.
http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8178/README/append
ix-p.html.

After following the instructions my dual-head setup works just fine
though I cant edit any options in the display settings.

If I go to the Dual head tab and enable "Use dual head" the drop list
"Second Video Card" is empty as it was before editing the xorg.conf
manually
and if I do any changes my xorg.conf gets overwritten and my settings
for dual-head is of course gone.

I have tried two diffrent nvidia gfx cards, nvidia Quadro NV 285 and
nvidia Quadro FX4500 but still get the same (errors?)

Should I be able to activate dual-head via the display settings or must
I do this manually in xorg.conf?

Thank you for your time.