irq routing on a precision 490

Andrew A. Neuschwander andrew at ntsg.umt.edu
Tue Jul 24 16:29:25 CDT 2007

Hello,

I'm running Fedora 7 on a Precision 490. When I drag or scroll windows
in X, it generates buzz/static on the sound card. I have an nVidia
quadro FX and I am using the binary driver via the livna third party
repository.

The sound card (onboard snd_hda_intel) and the nvidia controller share
the same IRQ, I would like to have the nvidia card on it's own irq to
try to clean up this problem. There appears to be no way to do this
either through the Linux kernel or through the bios.

In digging into the PCI/IRQ configuration for the 490, it appears that
the on board Ethernet controller, on board sound controller, x16 pcie
slot, the 1x pcie slow below it, and one of the one board ATA
controllers all use the same physical irq on the same pin (IRQ 11 on Pin A).

Does anyone have insight that might clean up my sound/video conflict? Is
there a software solution to this? Could this even be fixed in a bios
update, or is it a physical configuration aspect of the 490?

Thanks,
-Andrew
--
Andrew A. Neuschwander, RHCE