FC5 Sound on 380

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 16:36:24 CDT 2006

On 6/21/06, Daniel B. Koch <kochdb at ornl.gov> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Has anyone gotten sound to work under Fedora Core 5 on a Precision 380
> with the Intel HDA/SigmaTel STAC9200 card? From some preliminary web
> searches there appears to be an issue with 2.6.x kernels. I'm running
> kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5smp and alsa-lib-1.0.11-4.rc2.

Basically to get sound working on the Dell Precision 380, you need to
follow the directions at http://people.redhat.com/stransky/alsa/

Each time a kernel update occurs you have to rebuild the ALSA for it
so that the drivers are included. I ran out of time trying to build a
dkms kernel for it as this would be perfect in having it rebuild each
time the kernel reboots.

> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> --