1GB limit

Scott Dier sdier at cs.umn.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:14:22 CST 2006

Try "ls /boot/" to see which kernels are installed.  You can find the
name of the currently running kernel using "uname -r".

You most likely want linux-image-686 if you are currently running as 32
bit.  (if the output of uname -m is not "x86_64" and something like
"i686")  You can install this with 'apt-get install linux-image-686'.

Which video card do you have for the monitor?  (which driver is listed
in your xorg.conf or XF86Config)

Thanks,

Carlo Marinelli wrote:
>> Which kernel are you running? 32 or 64?  Is it one of the linux-* or
>> kernel-* packages?  I'm guessing one of the standard kernels has what
>> you need, just need to install it.
>
> In my complete computer science ignorance, I thought that if one has 32
> bits, then 2^32 is exactly 4G, but maybe a couple of those bits are used
> by something else, so 2^30=1G is the limit of a 32 bit kernel...
> If this is complete bullsh*t, then yes, I am pretty sure this is a 32
> bit kernel. Anyway, I simply did the following:
> 1) go to the page http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> 2) download netinst cd image (i386), version "If you'd like something
> newer"
>
> The machine is a dell precision 380 with 4GB RAM and 2001 FP monitor.
>
> A simple execution of "top" (or dmesg) shows the kernel sees 1GB RAM
> (actually sligtly less). I mentioned the monitor because it runs in
> 640x480 only (I saw the problem was reported by others as well), and I
> haven't found yet a good list of modes to make it run in 1600x1200. So
> far I was only able to get 1280x1024.
>
> Sorry for mentioning another problem unrelated to the previous one -
> I'll try to understand how to install a "kernel-*".
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Carlo

Scott Dier <sdier at cs.umn.edu>
CS/IT Systems Staff