1GB limit

Carlo Marinelli marinelli at wiener.iam.uni-bonn.de
Fri Jan 13 07:17:57 CST 2006

> Which kernel are you running? 32 or 64?  Is it one of the linux-* or
> kernel-* packages?  I'm guessing one of the standard kernels has what
> you need, just need to install it.

In my complete computer science ignorance, I thought that if one has 32
bits, then 2^32 is exactly 4G, but maybe a couple of those bits are used
by something else, so 2^30=1G is the limit of a 32 bit kernel...
If this is complete bullsh*t, then yes, I am pretty sure this is a 32
bit kernel. Anyway, I simply did the following:
1) go to the page http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
2) download netinst cd image (i386), version "If you'd like something
newer"

The machine is a dell precision 380 with 4GB RAM and 2001 FP monitor.

A simple execution of "top" (or dmesg) shows the kernel sees 1GB RAM
(actually sligtly less). I mentioned the monitor because it runs in
640x480 only (I saw the problem was reported by others as well), and I
haven't found yet a good list of modes to make it run in 1600x1200. So
far I was only able to get 1280x1024.

Sorry for mentioning another problem unrelated to the previous one -
I'll try to understand how to install a "kernel-*".

Thanks a lot,

Carlo