Fedora Core 2 on a Dell Precision 610 will not boot

Pape, Neal NPape@Trinity.edu
Mon Jan 10 13:22:01 2005

We have some old Dell Precision 610s that are currently running
Red Hat Linux 7.3.  I am attempting to install Fedora Core 2 on
these machines.  The installation process proceeds normally, but
the machine will not reboot after the installation.  The following
messages appear on the screen:

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358smp)'

root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs,partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.5-1.358smp ro root=LABEL=/
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400,size=0x137ae0]
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358smp.img
[Linux-initrd@0x37fa1000,0x4ed71 bytes]

The machine is not locked up hard, because ctl+alt+delete will
perform a reboot.  Occasionally, if I let the machine sit for
a while (a half-hour), it will eventually boot.

I have updated to the machine to the A11 BIOS, which is the last
BIOS available.

The same symptoms occur with Fedora Core 3.  I have also installed
lilo instead of grub, with similar symptoms.