Linux-Precision digest, Vol 3 #1 - 7 msgs

John_Hull@Dell.com John_Hull@Dell.com
Tue Jan 13 14:30:01 2004

The sound controller for the ICH5 audio controller on the Precision 360 was
wired incorrectly by Dell, which is why you can't play any sound. Both
Fedora Core 1 and RHEL 3 also exhibit the same behavior as SuSE. The RPM on
support.dell.com that I created contains a modified ALSA driver that
switches the lines in software and fixes the issue. I haven't tested it with
SuSE, but the RPM I posted may just work (it uses DKMS and will build the
driver automatically when you install it). Otherwise, I'd suggest just
buying a cheapo soundcard to replace it.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-precision-admin@dell.com [mailto:linux-precision-admin@dell.com]
On Behalf Of Andre Kerstens
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 2:20 PM
To: linux-precision@exchange.dell.com
Subject: Re: Linux-Precision digest, Vol 3 #1 - 7 msgs

Hi all,

I have a question regarding sound cards as well. I have loaded my
Precision 360 with Suse Linux 8.2 and was wondering how to get the
onboard intel ac97-compatible soundcard to work. Suse claims to
recognize the card and installs the intel driver for it, but no sound
comes out of the output :-(

Does anybody have the same setup as me and got this to work? I think
Dell only makes rpm's available for redhat on the support site and
google has not brought me nearer to a solution up to now.

Thanks

Andre