[Linux-PowerEdge] Mellanox ConnectX-4 Ethernet in DSU

Rene Shuster rene.shuster at bcsemail.org
Mon Nov 27 10:59:42 CST 2017

Looks like some of you need to start reading changelogs.

Excerpt from the widely popular R730 and the release of 2.4.3 BIOS:
* The Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 v4 based system may have CPU Internal
error (iERR) and Machine Check error when idle.
* Rarely, the system may stop responding because of a power failure during
the boot process.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Stefan M. Radman <smr at kmi.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> For what it's worth:
> Firmware updates for the sake of updating firmware might not be a good
> idea but ...
> I've been more successful with frequent (e.g. quarterly) incremental
> updates than "Jumbo Patches" every couple of years.
> Keeps you practicing your updates, change management and rollback
> procedures.
>
> Your mileage may vary.
>
> Stefan
>
> > On Nov 27, 2017, at 2:13 PM, David Newall <linux-poweredge at davidnewall.c
> om> wrote:
> >
> > On 27/11/17 23:18, Jesper Lykkegaard Karlsen wrote:
> >> The firmware on the cards are rather old and could need an update
> >
> > Perhaps, if it's not broken, don't fix it.  I get the impression that a
> lot of people are spending a lot of time regularly upgrading the firmware
> of their machines for no reason other than that a newer version is
> available.  This, perhaps, is asking for trouble.
> >
> > I'm sure this is not the advice you were hoping for, probably not even
> advice that is welcome, but I think it's wise.

Tech III * AppControl * Endpoint Protection * Server Maintenance
Buncombe County Schools Technology Department Network Group
ComicSans Awareness Campaign <http://comicsanscriminal.com>