[Linux-PowerEdge] 2 predicted failure disks and RAID5

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 14 10:56:47 CST 2017

On 11/14/2017 09:52 AM, Grzegorz Bakalarski wrote:
> I have a server (R815) with PERC H710. I have 4 disks and RAID-5 on them. The server have 2 empty disk slots.
>
> After night I noticed 2 disks got predicted failure state - LEDs on disk flash yellow (not green) on them (2 of them). MegaCLI shows that 2 disks have high "Predictive Failure Count:" - some few thousands.
GB,

*IF* this all rebuilds fine and goes Optimal again, you really want to:

   megacli fwtermlog dsply aall | grep -i punct

If you see a punctured block, you're gonna have to back off what you can, rebuild the RAID from scratch and restore, because there's no good way to fix a punctured stripe.
(ignore the lines that say the controller supports puncturing).
If you have to rebuild, i'd go RAID6 with your 6 drives.

--stephen

--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/