[Linux-PowerEdge] dell-system-update yum install causes libraries to change

scott.j.kingston at verizon.com scott.j.kingston at verizon.com
Thu Feb 16 13:32:16 CST 2017

On Dell PowerEdge R730XD servers running CentOS 7.2 when the new version of dell-system-update (Ver 1.3.1) was installed, using yum, a library symbolic link for openblas got changed and caused issues on an application running on our servers.

The link that specifically got changed is located in /usr/lib64 and appears as
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   33 Jan 13 20:24 libblas.so.3 -> /usr/lib64/libopenblas-r0.2.18.so

After DSU is installed using yum, the link is changed to: lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   16 Feb 14 21:34 libblas.so.3 -> libblas.so.3.4.2

We believe the root cause to be a command that is part of the post install that is embedded in the rpm.  The last command run is /sbin/ldconfig   This command is causing the library link to change.

Examining the post installation of the dell-system-update rpm it was noted that the last command run is /sbin/ldconfig   As a test we reset the link to the libopenblas-r0.2.18.so and ran the /sbin/ldconfig as a standalone command.  The result was that the link was changed again to point to libblas.so.3.4.2

Has anyone run into this, or does anyone have a resolution to the library being changed?

Thanks for your replies,
S.