[Linux-PowerEdge] noise level of T630?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Tue Feb 7 09:32:07 CST 2017

Having purchased many 2800's, 2900's, T710's, T620's, and T630's, I can
say that the trend has been quieter and power draw lower with each
generation. There is an initial spin up at power on, but after a few
minutes the fans do spin down automatically. I believe that the latest
servers also allow some degree of software control over the fan speed
(perhaps I saw this setting in the iDRAC Enterprise?). The latest PERCs
also allow spin down/power save of drives to reduce power draw/heat
output and, of course, the CPUs support idling/shutting down of unused
cores for the same purpose.