[Linux-PowerEdge] elaborate on DSU sample kickstart files

Soorej_Ponnandi at Dell.com Soorej_Ponnandi at Dell.com
Fri Nov 11 04:34:12 CST 2016

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Hi,

            These are sample kickstart files for creating a Linux based Live-ISO including DSU utility in it. You can use this with livecd-creator or any other bootable ISO creation utility which supports kickstart files.

1.       The sample_centos_base.ks, is a basic kickstart file which includes dsu utility in resulting bootable ISO. Once booted, dsu can be executed from bash shell with various options (use dsu --help for complete options)

2.      The sample_centos_nfs.ks demonstrates how to invoke dsu in non-interactive mode upon boot from a live-cd environment and stores the log file in a mounted NFS share.

            Example:
                        livecd-creator --config=sample_centos_base.ks --fslabel=centos7

            The configurations in this sample files need to be changed according to the package selection and scripting needs of user environment.

Soorej Ponnandi
Dell | Change Management

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Robert Jacobson
Sent: Friday, November 4, 2016 9:44 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists <linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com<mailto:linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com>>
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] elaborate on DSU sample kickstart files

I see there are some sample kickstart files here, supposedly for helping create bootable ISO images to run dsu.

http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/sampleks/

Can someone point to additional documentation or explain in more detail how one uses these files?  Are these meant to be added to an existing CentOS 7 netinstall image?

I guess I don't understand the process on how one can update a server using these kickstart files.  I have a server setup to kickstart systems using PXE, but the above kickstart files would delete the existing data on the servers!