[Linux-PowerEdge] FW:

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 15 19:50:08 CDT 2016

The thing to be careful with, is that there is not just *ONE* PERC 6/i.
There's:

   PERC 6/i Adapter (regular PCI card that goes in PCI slots)
   PERC 6/i Integrated (it's really about the same card, but the PCI
bracket is removed and it's in a servers' Integrated RAID card housing)
(IIRC, the latest version i could find for Integrated was 6.3.3, and 6.3.1
for the Adapter.  That may be because Dell didn't care to update the
Adapter form, or the specific fwupdate for the integrated only addressed
specific sets of disks and such that Dell sold in those configurations)

There are different firmware updates for these based upon the device's
PCI Vendor/Device SubVendor/SubDevice identifiers.

btw, For H700, etc, there's 3 or 4 different versions (Adapter, Integrated,
Mini, MiniP, ...) Again, distinguished by the PCI identifiers.  The
firmware images refuse to be burned to the wrong card even though they're
all "H700" family, e.g.

I have a script that identifies which particular device(s) you have in your
machine, and uses a table mapping the LSI Firmware ROM names to each
Vendor_Device_SubV_SubD  string that i yoinked out of the .ROM images
themselves.

It uses LSI's 'megacli' to flash those ROM images to all discovered
devices.  MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less error prone than Dell's overengineered
DUP/OpenManage, and it runs w/o modification on Debian (BIG WIN!)

--stephen

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Karsten Suehring <suehringlists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I remember having trouble with the PERC6/i update on old R1950 machines a
> while ago. I noticed that there existed two Linux update packages with the
> same version number, but a different cryptic string part in the file name.
> One worked, the other did not. The two versions showed up on different
> server types on the dell support site. I think the one that worked was
> named "SAS-RAID_Firmware_W83M2_LN32_6.3.1-0003_A14.BIN" (at least that's
> the file that I still have). If you Google the name, it will point you to
> the Dell download servers.
>
> Best regards,
> Karsten
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Andrew Barkley <abarkley at crawfordtech.com>
> wrote:
>
>> kernel: sasdupie[8998]: segfault at 20 ip 00007f3c3ecee00d sp
>> 00007ffc73039a20 error 4 in sasdupie[7f3c3ecc9000+110000]

Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/