[Linux-PowerEdge] older IDRAC's

john lists at cloned.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 03:15:05 CDT 2016

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016, Blake Hudson wrote:

> You don't mention which version of FireFox, OS, or Java you're using.
> Most problems I've ran into are client side, and are usually ruled out
> there.
>
> To rule out a server issue, I would suggest resetting the iDRAC via ssh
> and updating to the latest iDrac firmware (Dell's site shows this as 2.85).
>
> On the client side, some of the older iDRACs don't work with current
> versions of Java. I keep around a WinXP VM with java 1.6 and another VM
> with java 1.7 just to access some of the older dracs. I believe the
> iDrac 6 should work fine with XP + Java 1.7. If it matters, on a Win10
> VM I have trouble viewing the iDrac 6 web interface in IE 10/Edge and
> the console applet does not work with Java 8 (1.8), so the iDrac 6 is
> basically unsupported on current client platforms. Hopefully Java will
> die soon enough and these remote KVMs will be able to utilize HTML 5 or
> a custom plugin that works with up to date browsers and operating systems.

iDRAC6 works fine on latest Java (8u77) / Windows 7 here. You need to add
the URL of the DRAC to the Java exception list though in control panel, or
edit this file:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\security\exception.sites

DRAC5 Java console also uses SSLv3 which is disabled by default in newer
Java versions. You will also need to re-enable it again by editing the
file:
C:\Program Files\Java\%java_version%\lib\security and commenting out this
line with a # at the start:

jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DH keySize < 768

Bear in mind this might leave you vulnerable to SSL vulnerabilities if you
access untrusted Java content. You will also need to redo this every time
there is a Java update as it installs new files in a different version
directory.

john