[Linux-PowerEdge] source disk sector failure during raid 5 rebuild

Marc Flamank maam at pml.ac.uk
Mon May 18 11:30:35 CDT 2015

Hi All,

I've had a sector failure on one of the source disks during a raid 5 rebuild.

According to the log it tries to do a puncture (rebuild with errors) but the target disk starts throwing sense keys & it all fails.
I had not read the log file, so when it failed the first time, so I just shoved in another disk, the log showed the same errors, source then target errors stopping even the punctured rebuild.
I would be surprised but not shocked by two DOA's:-)

The question finally:- is the omconfig remove dead segments of any use here, on the source disk?

i.e. can I remove the dead segments suffer the file loss but rebuild the raid 5.

Thanks

Marc

Please visit our new website at www.pml.ac.uk and follow us on Twitter  @PlymouthMarine

Winner of the Environment & Conservation category, the Charity Awards 2014.

Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML) is a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales, company number 4178503. Registered Charity No. 1091222. Registered Office: Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth  PL1 3DH, UK.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system. You are reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses; PML accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.