[Linux-PowerEdge] Video cards for R610/R710

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon May 18 06:41:44 CDT 2015

My goal is to get a dual head setup, using middle to low end Nvidia
cards.  Just a reasonably responsive desktop interface.  Both the R610
and R710 are currently running on Scientific Linux 7.x.  The nouveau
driver is getting better and the nvidia drivers are usually pretty
stable. Haven't really decided which way I'll go on that, probably have
to test them both and see which one works better.

Finding a setup that would get me to the target and still let me get
into BIOS and use the iDrac over the network would be ideal. If I have
to adjust and fiddle around with things during the infrequent trips into
BIOS I can deal with that. Neither system is a production system, just
experimenting and some testing happening with these two boxes.

On 05/18/2015 06:31 AM, Peter Holl wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> we have graphic cards in several rack and towerservers. I never tried
> connecting two monitors, so I can only speculate on that point
> although and am optimistic that this works, if you use a card
> supported by a driver compatible with your OS.
>
> But I know one impact on iDRAC: you will not be able to see anything
> with the Virtual Console Preview, once you disabled the onboard graphics.
>
> I also found another trap: when you enter BIOS/UEFI setup and have a
> monitor connected via an extra graphics card, you might end up with a
> black screen. I never fully understood this, but on occasions we had
> to remove a card just to make the system autoswitch back to the
> onboard graphics. This might depend on the actual card and monitor,
> but it's good to learn how to change BIOS settings from the commandline.
>

> Good luck,
> Peter
>

> On 5/18/15 1:04 PM, Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
>> Has anyone put a video card that has dual DVI ports into an R610 and/or
>> R710?  I've got a side project I'm working on that would benefit greatly
>> if I could set up one or both of these servers as a dual head setup.
>> I'm not looking for gaming type performance just a basic dual head
>> through DVI interface.
>>
>> Related question: does adding a video card and disabling the onboard
>> video have any effect on accessing the system via an iDrac?

Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator
NRL Code: 7320
Office: 228-688-5738