[Linux-PowerEdge] Video cards for R610/R710

Peter Holl peter.holl at pnsensor.de
Mon May 18 06:31:50 CDT 2015

Hi Stephen,

we have graphic cards in several rack and towerservers. I never tried
connecting two monitors, so I can only speculate on that point although
and am optimistic that this works, if you use a card supported by a
driver compatible with your OS.

But I know one impact on iDRAC: you will not be able to see anything
with the Virtual Console Preview, once you disabled the onboard graphics.

I also found another trap: when you enter BIOS/UEFI setup and have a
monitor connected via an extra graphics card, you might end up with a
black screen. I never fully understood this, but on occasions we had to
remove a card just to make the system autoswitch back to the onboard
graphics. This might depend on the actual card and monitor, but it's
good to learn how to change BIOS settings from the commandline.

Good luck,
Peter