[Linux-PowerEdge] SMBIOS bug on Dell PE Gen12 hardware with 3.18 kernel

Srinivas_G_Gowda at Dell.com Srinivas_G_Gowda at Dell.com
Mon May 18 05:58:32 CDT 2015

Hi Luke,
Since 3.18 kernel on a CentOS 6 base OS is not an officially supported/tested configuration you will most likely find issues!!!!
However Linux-PowerEdge mailing list is a good place to get answers for queries like these.

smbios-sys-info/ smbios-sys-info-lite are utilities from libsmbios.  I tried to reproduce the issue by just running smbios-sys-info/smbios-sys-info-lite on 3.18 upstream kernel branch. But I could not see the reported failure messages !!!
I am no OMSA expert, but ill try running OMSA 7.4 to see if I catch that failure message.

Curios to know how you tracked the issue it to “/sys/devices/platform/dcdbas/,” ?
also do you see the issue if you just run smbios-sys-info/smbios-sys-info-lite. ?

Thanks,
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Luke Bigum [luke.bigum at lmax.com]
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2015 4:14 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] SMBIOS bug on Dell PE Gen12 hardware with 3.18       kernel

Hello,

I want to lodge a low priority bug with the Linux / PowerEdge Engineering team, but I can't find how to do that on any of Dell's Linux pages, so I'm posting here.

We're running a 3.18 kernel on a CentOS 6 base OS and OMSA 7.4 installed. I'm periodically getting this error message on our hardware running this kernel:

  kernel: Allocating domain for dcdbas failed

That error messages comes from intel-iommu.c (http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/iommu/intel-iommu.c?v=3.18#L2944).

I've tracked down to what triggers it, it's the OMSA init scripts that call either smbios-sys-info or smbios-sys-info-lite, which are doing stuff inside /sys/devices/platform/dcdbas/, I'm not sure what specifically.

Does anyone know who'd be interested in this bug/error?

--
Luke Bigum
Senior Systems Engineer

Information Systems
---

LMAX Exchange, Yellow Building, 1A Nicholas Road, London W11 4AN
http://www.LMAX.com/

---
#1 Fastest Growing Tech Company in UK - Sunday Times Tech Track 100 (2014)

Awards
2015 Best FX Trading Venue - ECN/MTF - WSL Institutional Trading Awards
2014 Best Margin Sector Platform - Profit & Loss Readers' Choice Awards
2014 Best FX Trading Venue - ECN/MTF - WSL Institutional Trading Awards
2014 Best Infrastructure/Technology Initiative - WSL Institutional Trading Awards
2013 #15 Fastest Growing Tech Company in UK - Sunday Times Tech Track 100
2013 Best Overall Testing Project - The European Software Testing Awards
2013 Best Margin Sector Platform - Profit & Loss Readers' Choice Awards
2013 Best FX Trading Platform - ECN/MTF - WSL Institutional Trading Awards
2013 Best Executing Venue - Forex Magnates Awards
2011 Best Trading System - Financial Sector Technology Awards
2011 Innovative Programming Framework - Oracle Duke's Choice Awards
---

FX and CFDs are leveraged products that can result in
losses exceeding your deposit. They are not suitable
for everyone so please ensure you fully understand
the risks involved.

This message and its attachments are confidential,
may not be disclosed or used by any person other
than the addressee and are intended only for the
named recipient(s). This message is not intended for
any recipient(s) who based on their nationality,
place of business, domicile or for any other
reason, is/are subject to local laws or regulations
which prohibit the provision of such products and
services. This message is subject to the terms at
http://www.lmax.com/pdf/general-disclaimers.pdf
however if you cannot access these, please notify
us by replying to this email and we will send you
the terms. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and delete any
copies of this message.

LMAX Exchange is the trading name of LMAX Limited. LMAX
Limited operates a multilateral trading facility. LMAX
Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Conduct Authority (firm registration number 509778)
and is a company registered in England and Wales
(number 6505809).

LMAX Hong Kong Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary
of LMAX Limited. LMAX Hong Kong is licensed by the
Securities and Futures Commission in Hong Kong to
conduct Type 3 (leveraged foreign exchange trading)
regulated activity with CE Number BDV088.