[Linux-PowerEdge] OMSA8.1 on RHEL/CentOS 7.1 workaround

Manuel Mausz manuel-dell at mausz.at
Tue May 5 14:59:16 CDT 2015

Hi,

for those looking for a workaround for the
> No controllers found
bug since RHEL/Centos 7.1 I've something to share.

Since kernel-3.10.0-229 (and above) the sysfs-attribute "release_date"
(aka /sys/bus/pci/drivers/megaraid_sas/release_date) has been removed
from the megaraid_sas driver (see [1]). The LSI middleware, which is
part of OMSA, is reading this attribute on startup. If the attribute
doesn't exist or can't be read, the whole storage controller class won't
be recognized.

Possible workarounds so far:
* re-add the release_date sysfs attribute to the megaraid_sas kernel
module. see [2]

* Use the attached kernel module, which adds the sysfs attribute. There
might be dependency problems on shutdown, so I'm not recommending it.

* patch the LSI middleware to read an alternate sysfs attribute. e.g to
read /sys/.../megaraid_sas/version instead:
> sed -i -e 's/\x00release_date\x00/\x00version\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00/' /opt/dell/srvadmin/lib64/libstorelib.so.4.20.1-0

Binary patching is the workaround I'm recommending. It's the easiest
one. However whichever workaround you choose make sure to restart the
datamgrd service afterwards so changes take effect.

cheers,
/ manuel

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_sas_base.c?id=d98a6deb75bce12784c0c7f1fdc02e6a67adac4d