[Linux-PowerEdge] Linux-PowerEdge Diluca at lehat m-net.itgest, Vol 135, Issue 37

Brent Kimberley Brent.Kimberley at Durham.ca
Mon Aug 31 12:10:23 CDT 2015

‎What about serial over lan?

------------------------------

Il giorno 31/ago/2015, alle ore 14:51, Tim Small <tim at seoss.co.uk> ha scritto:
>> Is there any way to enable IPMI over LAN remotely, without sending someone to the servers and turn them off and enter settings during bootstrap?
> Yes, you can do all the necessary setup with ipmitool. I think ipmitool ships with a script to do that - you may need to customise it slightly to work on the R320s. It might be useful to have a machine which has been setup via the BIOS tool to compare settings with (IPMI LAN and remote user settings in particular).
I succeeded in enabling IPMI over LAN using ipmitool.

I already did check it out but since the output of ?ipmitool lan print 1? was identical between systems with and without IPMI over LAN enabled I skipped over it. Turns out the interesting setting is *not* on the output of ?lan print? and I missed it.

To enable/disable IPMI over LAN via standard ipmitool you just have to use ?ipmitool lan set 1 access on? (or ?off?).

@ Srinivas: racadm didn?t do the trick - it complains about missing license. I guess the basic BMC isn?t enough.

--
Luca Lesinigo
LM Networks Srl

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT(S) ONLY AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY, CONFIDENTIAL, AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER ANY RELEVANT PRIVACY LEGISLATION. No rights to any privilege have been waived. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying, conversion to hard copy, taking of action in reliance on or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please notify me by return e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this message.