[Linux-PowerEdge] Remotely enable IPMI-over-LAN on BMC

Luca Lesinigo luca at lm-net.it
Mon Aug 31 08:31:01 CDT 2015

Il giorno 31/ago/2015, alle ore 14:51, Tim Small <tim at seoss.co.uk> ha scritto:
>> Is there any way to enable IPMI over LAN remotely, without sending someone to the servers and turn them off and enter settings during bootstrap?
> Yes, you can do all the necessary setup with ipmitool.  I think ipmitool ships with a script to do that - you may need to customise it slightly to work on the R320s.  It might be useful to have a machine which has been setup via the BIOS tool to compare settings with (IPMI LAN and remote user settings in particular).
I succeeded in enabling IPMI over LAN using ipmitool.

I already did check it out but since the output of “ipmitool lan print 1” was identical between systems with and without IPMI over LAN enabled I skipped over it. Turns out the interesting setting is *not* on the output of “lan print” and I missed it.

To enable/disable IPMI over LAN via standard ipmitool you just have to use “ipmitool lan set 1 access on” (or “off”).

@ Srinivas: racadm didn’t do the trick - it complains about missing license. I guess the basic BMC isn’t enough.

--
Luca Lesinigo
LM Networks Srl